Since occupying The Old Ticket Office, Entikera Ltd have understandably developed an interest in the history of the building together with its operation and place within the GWR. A small but constantly growing collection of items has been gathered for general display in the Old Ticket Office. As it is a working environment which must take into account the varying constraints imposed upon space, provision for displaying these items can vary from time to time. It may not always be possible therefore to view the complete collection as it stands at any one time as the balance of the collection will be held off site. There are however always a good number of items and old photographs to see.
It would be impractical to try to document online everything held, however particular portions, such as certain book series and GWR jigsaws, are dealt with in greater depth and can be seen by following the appropriate menus. The full collection catalogue can be accessed under the 'ABOUT/Downloadable resources' menu tab.
~~~~~~ ooooooOOOoooooo ~~~~~~
This page serves as an introduction to those items in our collection which do not easily fall into other broader categories and it will be expanded as appropriate.
~~~~~~ ooooooOOOoooooo ~~~~~~
There are a number of items of clothing in the collection. The one shown here is a GWR Porter’s jacket of unknown origin and date, possibly from 1930s but looking almost unused.
Also in the collection is what is believed to be a GWR Porter’s cap, again of unknown origin and date, but the peak and button suggest that it dates from the 1860s. The cap is fairly small and might have been worn by a boy porter. One visitor thought that the picture of an engine on the button associated it more with the Taff Vale Railway which became a part of Great Western Railway on 1 January 1922.
The collection holds a number of brass GWR buttons from different periods and in a variety of styles.
Edmondson date punches
In the collection are two Edmondson ticket date punches. They are both actually made by Waterlow & Sons of London, with serial numbers 4063 and 4254 respectively. They have both been restored to fully working condition and are complete with spools, ribbon and original date type. They are of unknown origin and date but serve to illustrate the type of equipment which would have been present in the ticket office. Operation was purely mechanical. When a ticket is pushed into the slot it is gripped by the moving jaws which serve to press it against the ribbon and date type. The ribbon would then be automatically advanced by a ratchet mechanism. Every morning the ticket clerk would have to reset and ink the ribbon and change the date type which is held in place beneath the knurled knob seen near the middle. Marks on the counter top show where the original machines used to be fixed when in use.
This system of dating pre-numbered tickets was devised by Thomas Edmondson, a trained cabinet maker, who became a station master on the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway. Previously, railway companies had used handwritten tickets, but it was laborious for a ticket clerk to write out a ticket for each passenger. He devised a complete system using pre-printed tickets that was both faster and one which could be audited as the takings had to be reconciled against the serial numbers of the unsold tickets at the end of each day. The tickets were printed on card cut to 1 7⁄32 by 2¼ inches, with a nominal thickness of 1⁄32 inch. Stocks would have been kept stacked in racks within a cabinet so that the next ticket in sequence could be taken from the correct rack. Whilst stations held stocks of tickets for popular destinations and classes of travel, blank tickets were also available for use when an appropriate pre-printed ticket was not held at the issuing station.
You can also read about Thomas Edmondson and his invention in a fascinating article written by Geoffrey SkelseyClick or tap to view the article
(pdf document format), which was first published in ‘Backtrack’ Vol.22 No.8, January 2008, and is reproduced here by kind permission of the Editor.
Other associated items in our collection include a box of date type, two hand punches as used by Ticket Inspectors, hand stamps for overprinting tickets with the endorsements 'Child' or '⅔rds Rate', and a ticket printing die for a ticket from Evesham to Paddington.
Some other examples
Great Western Railway Magazine, July 1931
The early operation of the railway was overseen by the Railway Police whose constables were responsible for a particular 'beat'. As well as undertaking what we would think of as normal police duties, they were also responsible for ensuring the safe operation of the railway which included the controlling of rail traffic and operating the signals. They had to ensure there was a suitable time delay between trains entering each section of track and thus, hopefully, avoid a collision. There was however no reliable way in which they could be warned if a train had broken down, was simply running slowly, or of any other threat to safety, and this inevitably lead to some bad accidents. Signal boxes as we would now recognise them only started to appear in the early 1870s when the fixed block method of controlling the flow of rail traffic was adopted and technology became available to allow for the remote control of signals and telegraphic communication was developed. Signalmen became responsible for the operational aspects of the railway, with the railway police becoming responsible for law and order along the railway.
Some other examples
Great Western Railway Magazine, July 1931
Most of the early railway police constables carried an elaborately painted wood truncheon and we are fortunate to have a fine example in our collection. Probably dating from the 1860s it is decorated with the Royal Crown and the initials GWR for the railway company. Larger images can be viewed by clicking or tapping either thumbnail image.
There were many changes in the way that the railway police were organised over the years with the various constabularies eventually becoming the nucleus of today's British Transport Police. You can read a detailed history of this specialised force on the British Transport Police website.
Railway Service badges
During both world wars many railway companies issued lapel badges to their workers. In the First World War these badges had an Royal Crown on them, but by World War Two the government’s policy had changed and crowns were only to be used on badges for those directly employed on government business. The railway companies therefore agreed on a new pattern of badge to be used by them all. This small oval brass badge had a steam locomotive on the top half, an enamelled blue bar saying ‘Railway Service’ across the centre and the initials of the railway company beneath, G.W.R. on our example. They had a button hole fastening and were produced by Fattorini of Birmingham, with their makers name being marked across the top on the back.
This small badge is shown here about full size, but a larger image can be viewed by clicking or tapping the thumbnail image.
A short article in the February 1940 edition of the Great Western Railway Magazine gives a bit more background.
Identification Badges for Railway Staff
ARRANGEMENTS have been made to issue an identification badge to all members of the railway staff to facilitate their proceeding to duty, when it is reasonably practical to do so, during air raid warning periods. The badge, which is oval in shape, is gilded and enamelled and measures approximately 1¼ inches by 1 inch. Each badge bears on the front, an outline of a locomotive, the words "Railway Service", and the initials of the approriate railway; on the back is a consecutive number, from which its holder can be identified. Women members of the staff are being provided with badges with a special brooch attachment.
In the First World War these enamel badges bore a red Royal Crown with the words "Railway Service" on a white ground below and the name of the relevant railway company in the blue border. On the back they had a button hole fastening, the makers name and a stamped serial number identifying the holder. It would appear that the badges were made by a number of manufacurers (possibly depending on the location of the railway company for whom the badge was made) including J.R.Gaunt & Son Ltd. of London, J.A. Wylie & Co. also in London, and Thos. Fattorini in Bolton.
Shown here about full size, a larger image can be viewed by clicking or tapping the thumbnail image.
Railway Clerks' Association badge
The National Association of General Railway Clerks was formed at a meeting in Sheffield in May 1897. Two years later it was renamed the Railway Clerks' Association (RCA). Formally registered as a trade union on 1st January 1900, from 1903 onwards RCA braches began to affiliate to their local Trades Councils. In 1951, following the changes that took place in the transport industry during the post-war period, the union changed its name to the Transport Salaried Staffs' Association (TSSA).The age of our example is unknown, but it is felt that it dates from around 1930. This tiny badge is shown here about full size, but a larger image can be viewed by clicking or tapping the thumbnail image.
The Railway Servants' Orphanage
The Railway Servants' Orphanage in Derby was founded on August 5th, 1874 and grew in size until by 1887 it could accommodate a total of 300 boys and girls. It accepted orphans up to the age of 12 from all over the country but upon reaching the age of 15 they had to leave.These badges were given in return for a donation towards the running of the home, and are amazingly still attached to their original card. Shown here about full size, larger versions can be viewed by clicking or tapping either thumbnail image. The first badge comprises the twin shields of the GWR and the second, thought to date from the 1950s, shows the ex-GWR locomotive King George V with the BR totem in its tender. Numbers at the orphange fell after the Second World War and so the original large old building was demolished and replaced by two smaller houses in 1977. By 1982, only one of these houses was needed and the home evenually closed altogether in 1993.